Click on the pictures to see enlarged versions of the images.

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Yankee Doodle Dandy



Poetry, both spoken and sung, has played its part in nurturing the spirit of a nation. In America, two songs composed by George M. Cohan (1878-1942) were so powerful in this regard that the U.S. Congress awarded him the Congressional Gold Medal in 1937 for helping the country’s morale during World War I.

The first song inspired the troops that were preparing to cross the Atlantic in 1917 to join the U.S. allies in World War I.


OVER THERE

So prepare, say a prayer,
Send the word, send the word to beware.
We’ll be over, we’re coming over,
And we won’t come back
Till it’s over over there.

The second song reminded the country, soldiers and civilians, what the fight was all about.

YOU’RE A GRAND OLD FLAG

You’re a grand old flag,
You’re a high-flying flag,
And forever in peace may you wave.
You’re the emblem of the land I love,
The home of the free and the brave.
Ev’ry heart beats true
’Neath the Red, White and Blue
Where there’s never a boast or brag.
Should auld acquaintance be forgot.
Keep your eye on the grand old flag.

But Cohan is best known for another song with a patriotic theme, the title song of a 1942 film starring James Cagney (1899-1986) in his most joyful and exuberant role.

To see Cagney’s wonderful performance singing and dancing this song, click on this link (you may have to cut and paste it):


http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/index.jsp?cid=238963

YANKEE DOODLE DANDY

I'm the kid that's all the candy.
I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy.
I'm glad I am,

(Chorus:)
So's Uncle Sam.

I'm a real live Yankee Doodle,
Made my name and fame and boodle,
Just like Mister Doodle did
By riding on a pony.
I love to listen to the Dixie strain,
I long to see the girl I left behind me;
That ain't a josh,
She's a Yankee, by gosh!

(Chorus:)
Oh, say can you see —

Anything about a Yankee that's a phony?

(Chorus:)
Little Johnny Jones,
The jockey from the U.S.A.


Will ride the pony Yankee Doodle
English derby day.

(Chorus:)
Jonesy’s broken records
Ev’ry track at ev’ry meet.


So Yankee Doodle’s gonna be the boy
They have to beat.

(Chorus:)
Sportsmen of the British Isles
Who’ve followed his career,
Have offered Johnny anything
To keep him over here.


But all the money
In the Bank of England couldn’t pay
Enough to keep young Johnny Jones away
From old Broadway.

(Chorus:)
If you want to take a tip,
The surest of sure things —


Have your houses mortgaged,
Hock your watches,
Pawn your rings.

(Chorus:)
And put it all on Yankee Doodle,
Johnny Jones is up!


I’m gonna give America
The English derby cup!

(Chorus:)
He’s gonna give America
The English derby cup.


I’m a Yankee Doodle Dandy,
A Yankee Doodle do or die,
A real live nephew of my Uncle Sam,
Born on the Fourth of July.
I’ve got a Yankee Doodle sweetheart,
She’s my Yankee Doodle joy.
Yankee Doodle came to London
Just to ride the ponies.
I am the Yankee Doodle boy.

(Chorus:)
He’s a Yankee Doodle Dandy,
A Yankee Doodle do or die,
A real live nephew of his Uncle Sam,
Born on the Fourth of July.
He’s got a Yankee Doodle sweetheart,
She’s his Yankee Doodle joy.
Yankee Doodle came to London,
Just to ride the ponies.
He is the Yankee Doodle boy.

Yankee Doodle came to London,
Just to ride the ponies.
He is the Yankee Doodle boy.

No comments: