Click on the pictures to see enlarged versions of the images.

Monday, January 24, 2011

The Partial Explanation


(Late Afternoon, New York, Winter by Childe
Hassam, 1859-1935, American painter)

The source of the word eavesdrop is the Old English yfesdrype, from eave (brink or brim) and drip. Thus, to eavesdrop is to stand on the ground under the eaves or at walls or windows to listen to what is going on inside.

THE PARTIAL EXPLANATION

Seems like a long time
Since the waiter took my order.
Grimy little luncheonette,
The snow falling outside.

Seems like it has grown darker
Since I last heard the kitchen door
Behind my back
Since I last noticed
Anyone pass on the street.

A glass of ice-water
Keeps me company
At this table I chose myself
Upon entering.

And a longing,
Incredible longing
To eavesdrop
On the conversation
Of cooks.

~ Charles Simic, born 1938 in Yugoslavia, American poet and translator

No comments: