Click on the pictures to see enlarged versions of the images.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Freedom of the Moon


(Robert Frost, poet laureate, 1958-1959)

THE FREEDOM OF THE MOON

I’ve tried the new moon tilted in the air
Above a hazy tree-and-farmhouse cluster
As you might try a jewel in your hair.
I’ve tried it fine with little breadth of luster,
Alone, or in one ornament combining
With one first-water star almost as shining.

I put it shining anywhere I please.
By walking slowly on some evening later
I’ve pulled it from a crate of crooked trees,
And brought it over glossy water, greater,
And dropped it in, and seen the image wallow,
The color run, all sorts of wonder follow.

~ Robert Frost (1874-1963), American poet

1 comment:

GretchenJoanna said...

Thank God for the moon! There is so much we can "do" with it, besides receiving its ministrations rather passively. Mostly I think, when I see it in a certain frame of mind, "I see the moon, the moon sees me; God bless the moon, and God bless me."