Click on the pictures to see enlarged versions of the images.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

To You


(Circle Limit III Tessellation by M. C. Escher, 1898-1972,
Dutch artist)

It’s even possible to express love in surreal terms.

Kenneth Koch wrote poetry filled with much irony and sarcasm, some so absurd and humorous that one critic called him the “funniest serious poet we have.”


TO YOU

I love you as a sheriff searches for a walnut
That will solve a murder case unsolved for years
Because the murderer left it in the snow beside a window
Through which he saw her head, connecting with
Her shoulders by a neck, and laid a red
Roof in her heart. For this we live a thousand years;
For this we love, and we live because we love, we are not
Inside a bottle, thank goodness! I love you as a
Kid searches for a goat; I am crazier than shirttails
In the wind, when you’re near, a wind that blows from
The big blue sea, so shiny so deep and so unlike us;
I think I am bicycling across an Africa of green and white fields
Always, to be near you, even in my heart
When I’m awake, which swims, and also I believe that you
Are trustworthy as the sidewalk which leads me to
The place where I again think of you, a new
Harmony of thoughts! I love you as the sunlight leads the prow
Of a ship which sails
From Hartford to Miami, and I love you
Best at dawn, when even before I am awake the sun
Receives me in the questions which you always pose.

~ Kenneth Koch (1925-2002), American poet, playwright, and writer of short stories, renowned for teaching children and the elderly how to appreciate and write poetry

No comments: