Click on the pictures to see enlarged versions of the images.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Forgotten Language


(Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame, 1859-1932,
English writer; illustration by E. H. Shepard, 1879-1976,
English artist)

It is an established fact that all children are multilingual for a certain period of time.

FORGOTTEN LANGUAGE

Once I spoke the language of the flowers,
Once I understood each word the caterpillar said,
Once I smiled in secret at the gossip of the starlings,
And shared a conversation with the housefly in my bed.
Once I heard and answered all the questions of the crickets,
And joined the crying of each failing dying flake of snow,
Once I spoke the language of the flowers. . . .
How did it go?
How did it go?

~ Shel Silverstein (1932-1999), American poet and songwriter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this poem! Thank you for sharing it. As a current studen of children's literature, the picture affiliated with the poem, envokes a spirit of childhood innocence.

Children, naturally have the imagination to believe in the impossible, such as talking to animals and imaginary friends. Somehow, as adults, we loose that fragility. Our inner child seems to disappear.

The characters in the photo, seem to be remembering their childhood fantasy and now are saddened that they can no longer remember that innocent age.

Regards,
Peg D.