Click on the pictures to see enlarged versions of the images.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh (A Letter from Camp)


(Snap the Whip by Winslow Homer, 1836-1910,
American artist)

For many kids in the early Sixties, this ditty was their first introduction to opera. It is sung to the tune of Ponchielli’s “Dance of the Hours” from the opera La Gioconda.

To sing along with Allan Sherman, click on this link (you may have to cut and paste):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Hx_X84LC0

HELLO MUDDAH, HELLO FADDUH (A LETTER FROM CAMP)

Hello Muddah, hello Fadduh,
Here I am at Camp Grenada.
Camp is very entertaining
And they say we’ll have some fun if it stops raining.

I went hiking with Joe Spivy.
He developed poison ivy.
You remember Leonard Skinner.
He got ptomaine poisoning last night with dinner.

All the counselors hate the waiters,
And the lake has alligators,
And the head coach wants no sissies
So he reads to us from something called “Ulysses.”

Now I don’t want this should scare ya
But my bunkmate has malaria.
You remember Jeffrey Hardy.
They’re about to organize a search party.

Take me home, oh Muddah, Fadduh.
Take me home, I hate Grenada.
Don’t leave me out in the forest
Where I might get eaten by a bear.

Take me home, I promise
I will not make noise
Or mess the house with other boys.
Oh please don’t make me stay,
I’ve been here one whole day.

Dearest Fadduh, darling Muddah,
How’s my previous little bruddah?
Let me come home if ya miss me.
I’ll even let Aunt Bertha hug and miss me.

Wait a minute, it stopped hailing,
Guys are swimming, guys are sailing,
Playing baseball, gee that’s better.
Muddah, Fadduh, kindly disregard this letter.

~ Allan Sherman (1924-1973), American comedian and writer of parodies

No comments: